Thursday, 19 April

Good news: A good rehearsal today, as we finished the whole piece.

Bad news: Two dancers wanted to quit, because they didn’t have time for their studies and the rehearsals.

___

We started with the dancers sitting down back-to-back trying to push away the “cage” they imagined they were in. They were pushing and pushing imaginative walls until they were scattered in the room.

They were allowed to go only on one direction: they one they could face while they were seated.

In the meantime, the video we recorded is going to be playing loudly behind them.

Scattered where they are, a dance comes and they start dancing (next rehearsal, Saturday 21/4).

And then they fall.

They reach their partners and form a mass after 9 repetitions of the text “Body pressure”. I must make a comment here: the partner work was better than the previous time. Today they felt more comfortable with each other, they were more creative in how and where to push  and they were very conscious of the space they used, so it was easy for them to create a “body of bodies” with a flow and no interruptions. Consequently, they got exhausted faster and I could hear that in their breaths, but they didn’t stop.

With that flow and care, they started raising each other up, before they empty the space.

I gave them instructions on how to come back to the stage again in the end and what to re-perform.

I must, also, keep in mind, that the dancers are 1st-years and the following week is their assessment week and that means that they are going to be tired. I have organised what I want to do in the next rehearsals and hopefully everything will go without any more problems.